Meltwater and California Consumer Privacy Act
This CCPA Policy is for California consumers (residents). To learn more about the applicability of this policy to your privacy rights, visit: https://oag.ca.gov/privacy/ccpa.
What information do we collect about you and why?
We process your personal information to fulfill our contractual obligations to provide you with our Services. We need your data to create and maintain your account to access the Services to our services, to create logins for you and to contact you in case you need support. We collect this data directly from you when you sign up as our Customer.
What categories of personal information do we collect?
The categories of personal information we collect from you includes:
- Name, email address, phone number, your username for to our Services.
- Should you wish to connect your social accounts to our Services, we also require your username and tokens for your social media profiles.
We also collect data, directly from you, about your use of our Services automatically according to our Cookie Statement.
If you want to make it clear to us that you do not want us to sell your personal information, contact us by clicking here: Do Not Sell My Information.
How we use your information
Information about our customers is an integral part of our business. We use your information, including your personal information, for the following purposes:
- To provide our Services to you, to communicate with you about your use of our Services, to respond to your inquiries, to manage your account, to send you information that you have requested, and for other customer service purposes.
- For marketing and advertising purposes. For example, as permitted by applicable law, we may occasionally contact you by e-mail, postal mail, or telephone to provide you with information about other Meltwater Services that might be of interest to you.
- To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization, and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the Meltwater website or our Services.
- To better understand how users access and use our Services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our Services to you and everyone and respond to user desires and preferences, and for other Meltwater Service research and analytical purposes.
When We Disclose Your Information
We do not share your personal information with non-affiliated third parties for their own marketing purposes. We do share your information as follows:
- To Our Affiliates. As permitted by applicable law and as contractually agreed between us, we may share your personal information with our affiliated entities. Those entities may market their products and services to you, but their use of your personal information will be governed by this CCPA policy.
- Sales Channel Partners and Distributors: We may provide information about you to carefully screened entities that work on our behalf, such as our Marketing services suppliers, newsletter distributors or other service partners, to market Meltwater products and services. Only trusted companies who require the use of said information for business purposes are given access to it.
- Service Providers. We may share your information with other third party service providers to assist us in providing our Services to you, responding to your requests, and/or to provide you with the partner services you have purchased.
We also may share your information in the following circumstances:
- Business Transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the information we have collected from you to the other company. We also may transfer our rights under any customer agreement we have with you.
- In Response to Legal Process. We also may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena.
- To Protect Us and Others. We also may disclose the information we collect from you where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person, violations of the Agreement or this Policy, or as evidence in litigation in which we are involved.
- Aggregate and Anonymous Information. We may share aggregate or anonymous information about users with third parties for research or similar purposes.
Your rights under the CCPA
You have rights which impact how your information is being processed, including:
- The right to know what information is collected, used, shared or sold;
- The right to delete (erasure right) information processed by us;
- The right to opt-out of the sale of your information. If you are under the age of 16, we will only sell your information if you opt-in, with your parent or guardian consenting if you are under 13;
- The specific personal information right to request a copy of the specific personal information collected about you during the past 12 months; and
- The right to non-discrimination in how we provide the Services to you when you exercise any of your rights under the CCPA.
Submitting a personal information or erasure request
You may ask us to disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your identity as a user of our Service, we can disclose that information to you. You may also make a request to have that information erased or deleted.
You may make these requests by completing this Request Form or you may call us at 1-833-999-1048, during regular business hours in California. If no one picks up, we are probably busy with another user, so please leave a message with your name, query and contact number for us to return your call.
You can make a request for your information twice every 12 months. If you are making an erasure request, it will help us if you include details of the information you would like erased. We may need to ask you for additional information to fully identify you. If we can’t identify you, we may not be able to erase your information.
Please note that if you request that we remove your information, we may retain some of the information for specific reasons, such as to resolve disputes, troubleshoot problems, and as required by law. Furthermore, some information is never completely removed from our databases due to technical constraints and the fact that we regularly back up our systems. Therefore, not all of your personal information will ever be completely removed from our databases.
We will respond to you on these requests as quickly as receive your note but it may take us up to 45 days. If we need more time than that, we will let you know.
Legal Basis for Processing
We have legal basis to collect, use and share your information. You also have choices about our use of your information as explained further below.
We will only collect and process your information when we have legal basis to do so. You also have choices about our use of your information as explained further below. Legal basis includes consent (where you have given consent), fulfilling our contractual obligations (where processing is necessary for us to provide you with the Service to fulfill contractual obligations (e.g. to provide you with the Services you have purchased)) and legitimate interest.
We retain information while you use our Services or as needed to provide you the Services. This includes data you or others provided to us and data generated or inferred from your use of our Services. Your account and data related to your use of the Services, excluding anonymized data, will be deleted as soon as possible 6 months after the expiry of your Agreement the Service agreement between us but in any event, no later than 6 months.
Meltwater takes security of all data, especially your personal information, seriously. We do our best to protect your information from any unauthorized access or loss with implemented security features and procedures. You should, however, be aware that the transmission of information via the Internet is never completely secure. You should also take necessary steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
Opting out of outreach from Meltwater
We may send periodic promotional or informational emails to you. You may opt-out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the e-mail. If you opt-out of receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you e-mails about your account or any services you have requested or received from us.
Reach Out to Us
If you have any questions about this CCPA Policy, you are welcome to contact us at email@example.com. You will also reach our Data Protection Officers at the same address.
We may change this CCPA Policy from time to time due to changed or updated legislation and/or business standards. All changes to this CCPA Policy are posted on this page and we encourage you to review our CCPA Policy regularly to stay informed.